Some properties are labeled “historic” because they are old, but the Halverson House (as it was referenced in one of the state historical society files) is so much more than that. Built in 1910, by Andrew & Merandy Halverson, as a galvanizing effort to help the family move past the tragic loss of a child following an accident in the silo. As outlined in a 1994 Milwaukee Sentinel article, the home is built in the “carpenter gothic” style and is the product of a recently apprenticed local Mukwonago carpenter whose rough sketches on plain paper and craftsmanship created a showpiece of his work to other prospective owners in the area. Subsequent remodeling has been the winner of national awards, seamlessly integrating additions to the ornate style of the original craftsmanship. Beyond its age and character physically, is the history that took place within it. Paging through correspondence and newspaper clippings left in the attic of the home, reveals how the original family (the Halverson’s) not only developed this beautiful property, but also had its hand in financing other projects such as the building of the Knickerbocker Hotel in Milwaukee, or the Pitts Building in Kenosha, and as an investor in Joseph Brothers Lumber Company in Chicago that succumbed to bankruptcy during the great depression. A variety of crops were planted at various times, but the largest cash crop was potatoes due to the soil conditions, operating until the remaining cattle and equipment were auctioned in December of 1959. Other favorable memories have been retold to us of "The Wisconsin Homestead" as it was referenced by some, as an annual summer country get away for extended family, or stories of the extensive impromptu meal spreads hosted by Etta Drought for friends and neighbors. It’s this history, both physically and in the community, that we are not only already enjoying ourselves, but are honored to be able to open up to others.